Tag Archives: The 1999 Project: Ford Ranger

Today on This Old Truck

I’m refurbishing the interior door panels today.

Well, maybe I’ll get one done. The deeper you get into something the more problems you can find.

I went to YouTube last night to figure out how to remove the spool handle for the window, and despite the guy knowing that every spool handle came off the same, he was wrong. Instead of a clip to remove said handle, it was a Torx head bolt. Luckily, I have an abundance of tools.

The other problem I’ve run into is a bit of upholstery that has given up over the years, probably to heat. Things wear down. There’s no helping it.

Separation Anxiety

And so I have an armrest sitting in front of the wife’s bread box with Gorilla Glue (not a sponsor) setting up and a couple of paper/chip clips bag holding it all together.

This is a high dollar operation.

I’ve taped up and dropped the first coat on the main door panel for now.

It is 11:34, and now I wait.


13:14

That door is done.

It came out loads better than I thought it would.

And now, on to the other door.

Before and after.

Because you’ve seen the first one, the other is pretty much the same, so I won’t bore ya.

Yep. I was able to get both doors done and still have some time this afternoon.

There’s a lot to be said for doing things yourself. It’s not just saving money. You try new things and learn new things. Believe me; I mess up often enough, but there’s a lot of knowledge in mistakes.

It might be the paint fumes talking, but it’s been a pretty good day.

That’s it. That’s the post.

Seegars

Not Too Shabby

If you haven’t figured it out yet I like to do it myself.

I have an old truck I’ve been finding parts here and there for and it ain’t easy.

Ever since Cash For Clunkers the pickins are slim, so I work with what I can find.

Sometimes that means refurbishing a part and bringing it back to life.

It ain’t perfect, but it suits me just fine.

I find that the more I do of this the more little tricks I find. Practice makes perfect.

This was a quick job today to test some paint that I’ve just started working with. I also needed to gauge the space on this piece so that I can install some switches for cut offs on my power to my dash cam and stand alone GPS point. I’m doing that so as not to put any drain to the battery when I’m parked and in store at work. Not that either of those are big battery drainers.

It’s not just the finding and refurbishing, this is fun for me.

It’s satisfying.

It’s a thing that I can sit back from and say, that’s done.

And I have something at the end of it.

That’s it. That’s the post.

Seegars